My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Monday, February 20, 2006

My Mother-in-Law is a geriatric Bo Derek

9 years ago my father-in-law passed away leaving my mother-in-law in an absolute state of loss. They were high school sweethearts married right out of school, had 5 kids together, enjoyed a very active life. When he died it was as if part of her died with him.

It was when Janet's good friend from school became a widow that she finally began to live her life again. The two women were close to begin with, now even more so with the death of their husbands in common. They began taking cruises all over the world, just to experience the most out of life, sometimes regretting they didn't take the time when their spouses were still alive. In fact, just recently, they just got back from a 2 week Caribbean Cruise.

This being her second day back, she invited us all down to her house for dinner tonight. Imagine my surprise when she answered the door with her beaded up braided hair. Apparently she and Percy had paid a woman on the beach to braid their hair on one of their ports. I could just picture her and Percy running across the beach in their butt hider bathing suits, beaded hair flowing about them. (Ugh, I know, bad visual. But, to be honest, she doesn't look a day over 50.)

For the next hour she showed me photos of her trip. Such gorgeous places she stopped! I was envious. I had to laugh as she pulled out a picture every now and then where she was posing with a street vendor, or a waiter on the ship, or a couple of men she happened across at a bus stop, she even had a picture of her with a couple of island police men. She looked like she was having such a good time.

On my list of things I want to do before I die, I'm adding take a cruise. Even if I have to take it by myself, I'm going to take a cruise.

10 Comments:

Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

Good for your mother. I always enjoy hearing stories like this. It shows that their are some positives about getting older.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

I've seen the Posideon Adventure too many times...

8:34 AM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

I have such a visual, thanks, LOL!!!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Read This said...

Think the titantic and sea sickness...lol. I have always wanted to do the Alaskan cruise...not sure why as I don't like cold weather...

10:22 AM  
Blogger Jay Noel said...

The image of a bumbling Dudley Moore just popped into my mind...watching your mother-in-law run across the beach with braided hair.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

fuzzbox, I agree. I like to be able to look forward to something besides depends undergarments and walkers.

ben, no music during the meal, but, I'm sure, if there was, that would be the song.

ranger tom, I'll bet you have. :D

big mama, I don't want to be the only one walking around with that visual, glad you decided to join me. LOL

thomas, Janet went on an Alaskan cruise last fall, she loved it. They got to see a glacier shelf crash into the ocean, and a whale.

phoenix, now I've got that image! LOL!!!

10:41 AM  
Blogger DaMasta said...

I want to take a singles cruise! w00t!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

You might consider having the safe-sex talk with your mother-in-law. :) She's probably out of the loop!

I never would have thought such a thing, but a family member has recently had "the talk" with her mother-in-law now that she has a gentleman friend at her retirement village in Florida. I can't imagine discussing such a subject with my mother-in-law!

1:41 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

woo hoo - whatever it takes to get out and find the adventure in living... good for her. (not sure I would go with the braids and beads though - LOL)

3:06 PM  
Blogger Jillian said...

Oh wow that does sound really cool! Yeah if you take pictures you would probably have them all of the scenery like of the ocean or of palm trees.

Adventuring is fun as well. :-)

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons