My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A Most Horrible Day

Today has been one of THE most horrible days in the history of my life. I could certainly use a stiff drink at the moment.

One of my receiving girls has handed in her two weeks notice, members of my area have decided to put together a potluck.

IT IS THE POTLUCK FROM HELL!

From this day forward I will forever cringe at the mention of the word potluck.

When asked what could be done for this woman's going away get together I had stated point blank I wanted the entire event to be small, limited to just my areas, and I wanted it to be something easy, like a pizza luncheon.

Now, how in the hell can you misinterpret this???

Eight days later I now sit, a complete nervous wreck, supposedly 'In Charge' of the potluck (potluck???? What happened to pizza???) with half the hourly staff in the plant pissed off at me because they are only getting a 30 minute lunch.

How did this happen, I ask myself??? I'll tell you how....

Leave it to MY own employee to just decide to do whatever the hell she wants to do, no consideration for what her manager has already decided.

So, there I sit this morning, unbeknownst to me a pizza luncheon has been turned into a PLANT WIDE potluck, and people as asking me why they can't have a 45 minute lunch.

What the hell???

I respond to them, this is a decision between them and their manager. I can only manage the people on my own team, they need to get with their manager.

Unhappy people.

They go above my head hoping the production control manager will overturn my ruling and grant them a 45 minute lunch.

It does not work. He sends them back to me. They've already been there, so, they stage an hourly uprising.

Two hours later I find myself, among the other production managers, assembled in the conference room discussing the events of the infamous "Potluck".

By now, I just want to cancel the whole damn thing.

I've already snapped at my team requesting answers as to how a SMALL pizza luncheon has turned into a plant wide potluck and who gave them the permission to pursue this thing.

Crickets chirping. Dead silence.

Nobody comes forward, so I continue on. I explain to them how things can backfire when they go over their managers head in hopes of procuring something the manager has already said no to.

In this case, the 45 minute lunch.

As it turns out, because of this incident, the 45 minute lunch has been banned. The production control manager has made the edict that we can no longer practice a 45 minute lunch for individual festivities or potlucks. The 45 minute lunch will only be authorized in a plant function.

All I can say is, they did it to themselves. I don't make decisions on whim, I always have a reason for the things I do. Had they stuck with the small pizza luncheon, the 45 minute lunch would still be a possibility.

God have mercy on my soul, I have one more day of hell to endure as the 'Potluck' is scheduled to happen tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger Read This said...

You may not win Miss Popularity, or Miss Congeniality this year. I would also start driving a junker car to work. For the love of god, don't eat anything given to you at the potluck. You may find the reason behind the word luck, lol. Good luck.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You need to shove this idea up their asses and tell them to do it themselves. You have too much to do as it is. You are the manager and so you can delegate. If the employee's going away thing doesn't happen at least you will know that it's not your fault :)

1:21 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

somebody quit? Are you hiring? I am willing to relocate. TO ANYWHERE.
By receiving, do you mean Accounts receiveable? Ive done that as wellas Payables and othe accounting/bookkeeping duties. It's what I'm trained in.

Any Pizza left?

Other than that, how are things?

3:34 AM  
Blogger Pixie said...

Aww, thats horrible.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons