My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Friday, October 28, 2005

I thought he was a pirate

I've seen this guy driving around town in a van for the past couple of days. I immediately assumed he was dressed up as a pirate for some reason or another, he's wearing a black eye patch and has one of those fu man chu mustaches.

I get to the bank just now, and the pirate in the van pulls up. So, as obvious as I possibly can be, I am staring at him to see his costume. It was not a costume! He was literally a man with an eye patch from some kind of injury, or maybe his eye is missing.

Which made me think of the girl from college. Jessica and I had seen her at orientation and totally assumed she was trying to be like Sinead O'Conner. (She was completely bald.) We had even made comments to each other about this. Well, it turns out, Jessica and I had a class with her in it, and we became somewhat friends with her. She had cancer, and that was why she didn't have any hair. We both felt terrible, and confessed to her what we had assumed. She laughed, and pulled out a few pictures she carried from when her hair was still long.

I wish I didn't jump to assumptions like I do.

4 Comments:

Blogger FantasticAlice said...

It takes a LOT of guts to admit when you have "judged a book by its cover." Great post. Funny, heart warming, and gets you thinking.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

thanks Alice. :)

3:02 PM  
Blogger Jay Noel said...

I agree with alice...we all judge by appearances. It's ingrained in us. But it takes a good person to go deeper, as you have.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

Thanks phoenix, that was nice of you to say.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons