My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Friday, October 14, 2005

The Lurker

Yep, it's Friday, half the plant is gone, and I don't feel like doing a thing! :D

I just had a very interesting conversation about prints calling out a reference dimension. I was taught, and it is the common understanding with all of the engineers that I work with, that when a print calls out a dimension as 'for reference only' it can be just about anything and still be acceptable.

So, I have Dave back here and we are discussing a part that has a note on the print stating that all dimensions are 'for reference only'. Dave decides he's going to be Mr. Smart Guy and quiz my intelligence. He asks me what a reference dimension is. I tell him it's a basic guideline on what that particular dimension should be. He then tells me I'm wrong, it's a very common misconception, but a reference dimension is merely a dimension that is called out on a different print. He says that his GD&T instructor had taught him that many years ago. So, I say to him, that's funny, I took GD&T about 3 years ago, and that instructor told us exactly what I told you. By now I'm pulling out my GD&T book, complete with notes and scribbles on the pages to identify that it had been used well. So, at this point, one of the manufacturing engineers shows up and is joining the conversation. I say to him that Dave and I are having an interesting conversation about reference dimensions. (At this point, I have no idea that the manufacturing engineer had been listening to the entire conversation.) The manufacturing engineer goes into the 30 minute explanation of what a reference dimension is. I couldn't help it, I stood back and smiled. It was funny. I really like this particular manufacturing engineer, I sure hope we're right, because Dave left awfully frustrated. LOL

OMG!! I was just chatting with Judy (for like the past 45 minutes) and she told me Nick wasn't a citizen. I had no idea!! I'm in shock! He's got to be from Canada or something. It's amazing when you know someone for 6 years and find out something big that you didn't know about them. It's like, how could I not know that??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons