My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Sunday, January 01, 2006

New Years Eve 1988

Quite possibly the most memorable New Years Eve in my life.

My mom and stepdad were good friends with one of my stepdad's coworkers and his wife, we practically lived at their house on the weekends. Phil and his wife Kris were pretty hardcore alcoholics, but they were decent people. They had 3 kids, Dana, Cody, and Jamie. Dana was my age, Cody was my brothers age, and Jamie was 7.

On this particular New Years Eve, Phil and Kris and my mom and stepdad decided to ring in the new year at one of the bars in town, leaving us kids at Phil and Kris's to pretty much do as we wanted. I was the oldest, I was 14, and everyone in that house looked up to me for a good time. Superman was playing on TV and we were antsy with anticipation. I needed to come up with a plan.

I grabbed the donut sticks out of the cupboard and a bag of pretzels that we had brought over and asked Cody where his dads beer was. He ran out to their Jeep and brought it in the house. Dana started calling all of the neighbor kids to find out what they were up to. We were going to have our own party.

I wish I could remember some of the names of the kids who came. Most of them I never seen again after that night, but we sure had some fun. Dana and I ended up being the only girls there, I'm quite certain our parents would have killed us had they known. Nothing sexual happened, just some underaged beer drinking and lots of dirty jokes were told about 'the hairy root'.

I sit back now and think about how grown up I felt on that night, and how adult I thought we all were. To me, at that time, sitting around, drinking beer and smoking cigarettes was pretty much as grown up as you could be. I didn't know any different, I was raised by a chain smoking pill popping woman who had begun to drink too much and was slowly going out of control.

At midnight we sent everyone home and stacked the empties back in the cardboard and set it on the porch. Everyone was piled into Dana's tiny little bedroom when Phil and Kris got back. I could hear Phil talking about how he couldn't believe he and my stepdad had drank all that beer, it just didn't seem like they'd had that many. I couldn't stop laughing, anyone who knows me in real life knows how much I laugh. Phil popped his head in the door to ask us all if we'd had a good evening. We just laughed and shook our heads. If only they knew.

As he was walking away I heard him telling Kris how we were a great bunch of kids. All in all, he had it right on, we were good kids.

4 Comments:

Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Now you're really making me feel old... I was already out of the army and on the PD in 1988...

Happy New Year!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Ad one question to your poll this week: "I had to work that night"

LOL

9:19 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

Oh, I totally forgot about that one! Good catch Tom. And, you're not old. You're seasoned to perfection! LOL

At least, that is what I plan on telling everyone who is younger then I am.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Crazy Me said...

Sounds like a great party. I can't believe you didn't get busted!

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons