My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Friday, May 16, 2008

Today in kindergarten....

I stopped in at Thomas's school to drop off his permission slip and field trip money.

It was quite the experience, I must say.

I'm always amazed at what people feel comfortable saying to me. I was standing near the door holding Hannah, another Mom was standing next to me chit chatting with me. In those few short moments I learned more about this woman then I ever wanted to know about anyone. She was there with her youngest son who was 'special needs', the doctor had advised her not to have any more kids, her 5 year old daughter was in Thomas's class, and she also had a 10 year old.

As Mrs. Keck approached the other Mom was in the midst of a story about how her daughter had asked her to order a baby.

I swear to God the woman looks at Mrs. Keck and blurts out "So, when are you due to have your next one?"

Of course, Mrs. Keck is totally on the spot and has no idea what to say. She just stands there for a moment, dumbfounded, and blurts out, "Probably sometime after I quit taking birth control pills."

I couldn't help but laugh.

I mean, the entire situation couldn't have been more inappropriate! In a tiny way, she reminds me of myself. Granted, I'm not a 90lb hispanic kindergarten teacher, but I find we have a lot of the same personality traits. I'm so glad Thomas had her for his first teacher.

I'm hoping her positive influence will benefit him as he advances through the grades.

3 Comments:

Blogger tsduff said...

Hats off to the quick thinking Mrs. Keck! I doubt I could have come up with something so fast.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

Terry, you'd be amazed what you can come up with off the top of your head. LOL I sometimes shock myself with some of my retorts.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

I love Mrs. Keck!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Hope today is a wonderful one...

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons