My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Friday, August 26, 2005

And.......I hate this day!

The snobby business manager harassed my receiver. The parts she received matched the AML 100%. A done deal, nobody is going to question the customer supplied AML. That's our bible. It should be golden. It turned out that the AML is wrong! Then engineer who entered the information goofed up. So, here we are, building defribulators that have an incorrect component on them. Not a good thing!!

So, my receiver came to me in a panic telling me that she has just been chewed out for receiving wrong parts in that match the AML. She's very upset. Naturally, it ticks me right off, I'm already in that mood. I decide to go find my manager and vent a little. She wasn't in her office, so I head into the front office to leave a note in her box to come find me. On my way in, I nearly run into the Director of Operations. He smiles and says 'how's it going?' My perfect opportunity. I smile back and say 'I've had better days'. He stops in mid step and asks me what's going on. So, I tell him. With passion. 'Those receiving girls are under a mountain of pressure already without adding (snobby business manager) to the mix. A part is received in that matches the AML 100% and he is crucifying the receiver because she should have questioned the AML. It is not her job to question the AML, nor is she qualified to.' He replies 'I can understand where (snobby business manager) is coming from though.' I'm still on my soap box at this point. I go on to say 'Whether or not the parts are correct have nothing to do with the receiving process or the person who received them in. He should try spending a day in her chair and see how much he likes it.' At this point, I had pretty much spoke my peace. Director of Operations said 'Let me speak with (snobby business manager). '

He heads back to his office, and I continue to do what I had started in the office to do, and I hear a quiet round of applause behind me. I turn to see the receptionist and executive secretary clapping quietly. They are happy to see that I have stood up for all of us working stiffs out there who get the shaft all the time. Apparently, they heard every last word of our conversation and came out to thank me. I have to admit, I was a little humbled by that. I mean, I only did what I thought was right. My employees look to me to back them up, and damn it, that's what I'm going to do.

Needless to say, not even 10 minutes later, the snobby business manager was back and asked to speak with both the receiver and myself. He was apologizing for coming across in a way that had offended the receiver. It was not his intentions.

point of interest: I feel a tad bit guilty. I have sometimes tended to believe that the director of operations may be attracted to me, based on past behaviors. I know this, and I used it to my advantage today. I knew if I addressed the situation with him, he would get all over the snobby business manager's butt. Which, he did.

1 Comments:

Blogger Crazy Me said...

Hey, business is cutthroat these days. You gotta use what you got!

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons