My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Sleep

I was talking in my sleep during my nap. I can barely remember it, but I recall Charlie coming into my bedroom and asking me why I'm laughing so hard. 'I' remember telling Charlie I'm not laughing. I was somewhere between consciousness and sleep because he says I only mumbled something with my eyes shut.

Here's the freaky part. This is the part that made me remember the whole incident about 3 hours later. After he left the bedroom, it was like I was paralyzed. I couldn't move a muscle. I was trying to scream for him to come back, but I couldn't do a thing.

This has happened to me many times before. In fact, I refuse to sleep on my back anymore because it always happens when I sleep on my back.

Sleep paralysis is a condition in which someone, most often lying in a supine (face up) position, about to drop off to sleep, or just upon awaking from sleep realizes that s/he is unable to move, or speak, or cry out. This may last a few seconds or several moments, occasionally longer. People frequently report feeling a 'presence' that is often described as malevolent, threatening, or evil. An intense sense of dread and terror is very common. The presence is likely to be vaguely felt or sensed just out of sight but thought to be watching or monitoring, often with intense interest, sometimes standing by, or sitting on the bed. On some occasions, the presence may attack, strangling and exerting crushing pressure on the chest. (I found this tidbit of information here)

10 Comments:

Blogger tsduff said...

What a horrible experience! I thought this was only a nightmare experience - not a waking one. Glad I don't usually sleep on my back.

5:37 PM  
Blogger LBseahag said...

that scares me...makes me not ever want to sleep again! my secrets will be revealed, and they are not good!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Jay Noel said...

The feeling of dread or evil really is just the combination of being in the deeper part of sleep and your active conscious mind walking up. In essence, you are stuck in that state.

When you first fall asleep, you go into a really deep sleep. Then you sort of wake up...you might turn over, look at the clock for a split second, or fix your covers.

You then enter REM sleep, and this is the dream state.

Some people have problems transitioning from deep to REM sleep. This is where children have "night terrors" or when people "sleep walk." Actually, some adults still have "night terrors," and they can really injure themselves or others. It seems being stuck between these two stages of sleep activates the fight or flight response.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

My dad had problems with night terrors/sleepwalking for years and would probably still have the problem if not for the medication he takes for it. It was terrifying because in his dreams, something bad was always happening, usually to one of us kids, and he was screaming in panic and running around the room trying to stop it. One time he almost jumped off our balcony, and another time (when my parents were newlyweds and I was still a baby), he grabbed his shotgun. No surprise, my mom wouldn't let him keep his shotgun or hunting rifles anywhere near the bedroom after that. To this day, if I hear him talk in his sleep (which I never do because I don't live at home), terror shoots though me.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

It is a horrible experience. It's very scary, to say the least.

I have been plagued with nightmares and sleep problems for as long as I can remember though.

9:00 AM  
Blogger DaMasta said...

Is this the same thing that happens in your dreams where you can't talk or run or scream or see straight?

11:01 AM  
Blogger DaMasta said...

Is this the same thing that happens in your dreams where you can't talk or run or scream or see straight?

11:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think my ghost posts must have scared you, haha. This sounds spooky. I'm glad that I don't feel as if someone is straggling me *go away, leave me alone* hehe.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

if it makes you feel better, I have often experienced the paralysis thing, where I am "awake", but not able to move, or talk.

I can sometimes start to talk before I can move, and I have a very understanding partner (after the first time, where they freaked out), I can start to talk and say "help me" softly, and then loudly. When he wakes me, I am totally okay.

Weird, weird, stuff.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

It's good you have an understanding partner. My husband thinks I'm crazy when I talk about episodes like that.

I am usually able to get out of it if I concentrate really hard. I move my big toe, somehow it pulls me out of it, and then I lay there terrified for a few seconds, heart beating practically through my chest.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons