My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

High School

What were you like in High School??

This was one of the topics in today's pm meeting, in fact, we're all bringing in senior pictures tomorrow to share with the group. This could be interesting, one of us graduated in 1969!

(Home computer is on the blink, so, I'll be sure to post the picture I've selected tomorrow)

The one thing that stands out most in my mind about my graduation is the part where the muffler fell off my car on the way to the High School. Talk about arriving in style! LOL

My first car ever was an old two toned blue Chevette 4 speed stick shift, floor boards rusted out on the passenger side. (Literally, you could see the road beneath you as you cruised down the road.) The passenger side window was missing the crank, in it's place was an adjustable wrench. You had to slam the doors shut to ensure they closed tightly, otherwise, they would fly open as you rounded a corner. And, of course, the muffler was always falling off.

So, Jessica, my friend Krystyn, my brother, and I all set off in my car headed to the high school for my graduation. I still remember how excited I was, that was such a big deal to me. I was finally an adult, I was scared to death, I was anxious to see what lie ahead, I was turning the page in a new chapter of my life.

We get just about there and I hit a pot hole, knocking the muffler loose, sparks and pieces of muffler flying everywhere behind me, the noise coming from my car rivaling that of a Sherman Tank. Jessica is laughing, saying "No Way!" repeatedly. We're all totally embarrassed, ducking down in the car, hoping nobody would notice us. Yeah, like that's going to happen.

Imagine pulling into the parking lot in that car! I wanted to die.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jay Noel said...

Oh geez, high school. I would say I've changed some, but not a whole lot. I was always involved in extracurricular stuff, from sports to clubs. Very social.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Do you remember when the brake lights went out on that car? I nearly rear ended you in front of the bowling alley!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Vodka Absolut said...

High School...geez, that was the age of Beverly Hills 90210 and the last breath of big hair and aquanet.

I myself was shy until I began co-op'ing at Dow Corning my senior year. I actually thought I was fat and wore baggy clothes all the time, when in fact I was a size 8. Now I wish I was even a size 12! So sad..

CAR! I loved my blue beast. It's an 88' cutlass ciera, 4-door. It ate my tapes, the wipers would turn on for no reason, and would stall at the drop of a hat. When I said "it's" I mean, it's still alive! My dad drives it now. It's a rust bucket and he stapled the fabric back on the ceiling, but it still runs...

Thanks for the memories. :)

1:25 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

phoenix, I don't think I've changed a whole lot either. My hairstyle and clothing style has, but my personality is still basically in tact.

jessica, OMG! I totally forgot about that! LOL!!!!

ranea, I'm right there with you, big hair was my thing back then. My friends could point me out in a crowd just by the height of my bangs.

vodka, I can't believe he's still driving it!! :D

1:39 PM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

No matter what a persons first car is like, it beats walking.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Vodka Absolut said...

Honestly I can say I miss my blue bomber. The Pontiac Grand Am I have now is only 7 years old and won't make it to 10! They don't make cars like they used to.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

Wow there is a plethora of memories in this post. I remember my first car was a rusted out-very old-you can see the ground whiz by when you drove-gold colored Hondamatic! Yes folks I drove a Hondamatic. It was SO FUN!!! On really cold Vermont mornings I really had to use that manual choke so the car wouldn't die, LOL!!! What fun. I was friends with everyone in high school. I felt that if people were nice to me I was nice to them. It worked out great, I dated the captain of the football team, what a hottie! I was very social (I still am...)

10:14 PM  
Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

I had a 67' Mustang coup... With rusted out floorboards on both sides. I used to joke about my "Flintstone Brakes"... But the funniest thing that would happen is sometimes, if the tinplate I had covering the holes moved and it was raining...I'd hit a pothole just right, and get splashed with water!

6:46 AM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

fuzzbox, it definitely beats walking!

ben, I know what you mean. The memories are kind of like nostalgia.

madman, I knew a guy who named his truck the 'Danger Ranger'. LOL

big mama, manual choke?? How old was this car?? LOL!!

ranger tom, so, tell me, did you ever lose a shoe??

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons