My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Did you know?

Acetone will dissolve a styrofoam cup quicker then you can count to ten?

I know that, now.

Staring at my nails as I arrive at my desk, I am once again berating myself for not removing the remnants of my last weeks manicure. Chipped and partially missing, the nail polish was beyond hideous. Thinking fast, I send a quick email to one of Sandy asking her to steal some acetone from the conformal coat room so I can remove my polish.

It pays to have friends amongst the production floor.

A few minutes go by and I see her coming, paper cup in hand, acetone dripping through the bottom.

"Oh My God Sherri! You'll never believe what happened! I have to tell you the story!" she is laughing like crazy, I can't help but laugh along with her even though I have no idea what she is laughing about.

"Oh My God! What happened?" In my mind I'm fully aware that we sound like teenagers, but, I can't help it, I'm lost in the moment. I grab some paper towel from the roll in our supply cabinet and set the leaking cup upon it, going right to work on removing the old polish.

"Ok, so, I grabbed a styrofoam cup from the front office and I sneak into the conformal coat room. I pour the acetone into the cup but it spilled a little, and I didn't want to wreck my nails, I only turned for a second to grab a paper towel, when I turned back the cup was gone!" her eyes were huge, we were both staring at her nails to make sure the polish was still ok.

"Oh My God! No way! Where did it go?" I couldn't stop laughing, I'm certain you could hear me all over the production floor.

"It dissolved into a big marshmellowy mess! I couldn't believe my eyes! I just left it there!" with this last confession, we both broke out in fresh peels of laughter.

"I've gotta wash my hands, look at my nails!" my fingertips were white, the skin dried out like old parchment paper.

It's never a dull moment around this place.

7 Comments:

Blogger tsduff said...

That is hilarious!! Who would have known that the cup would melt :-) Lucky she didn't wreck the carpet or anything.

3:09 PM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

I wonder what people thought the white goo was when they came across it.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

Like most criminals, Sandy and I returned to the scene of the crime to check out the damage.

Nothing!

The cup and the acetone had completely evaporated into thin air!

The only thing left behind was a really white spot on the floor.

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Will said...

It sounds like that acid that melts through all the floors like in the "Aliens" movie.

And you put that on your nails !

Great story, isn't it annoying how work interrupts all the fun at your job ?

9:47 AM  
Blogger Jay Noel said...

Yeah, I have put a styrofoam cup beside acetone too. I think I was using it to remove some superglue or something, and my cup started to dissolve instantly.

Very cool!

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool I gotta try that one.

WP set fire to a blog of hand sanitizer on the bathroom sink it burns this cool putply colour and lasts for ages, then the idiot thought that if he set light to a blob of it on his hand his hand wouldnt get hot. DUH.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons