My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Friday, December 16, 2005

"New Day, New Action"

(One of my favorite quotes from Julie, the new board inspector in my area)

It hasn't even been 24 hours since I was approached by my boss and asked if I would consider bringing on an employee in the receiving area that is returning from maternity leave. Let me emphasize the the part where I was asked if I would 'consider' this addition. I had told her yes, I need some help back here, we are taking on new challenges and I would definitely like to think about the acquisition.

Today one of my receivers approached me and said she would like to ask me a question. She started by telling me that I have always told them to feel free to come to me anytime they have a question or issue. Mentally I'm thinking, oh great, here it comes, what now. So, I tell her sure, no problem, I've got time, let's get it out in the open and discussed. (I have to say, I am very pleased that she felt she could come to me with an issue and felt comfortable enough that we could discuss it.)

Apparently, one of the buyers down in the bull pen had overheard a conversation mentioning the idea of this woman coming to work in the receiving department. She, in turn, told a person from the production floor what she had heard. Well, by the time it had made it back to this receiver, the rumor had changed to the effect that the woman would be coming back and working in the receiving department probably taking one of the receiving girls' positions. My jaw hit the floor!

First, I was pissed off because not only was this totally false information, news of this magnitude must come from me. I was not happy to find out that they heard first from a rumor and not from myself.

Second, the woman coming back to the area hasn't even made it past the 'consideration' stage. On top of that, nobody is losing their job nor are they going to be pushed out. We need a third receiver. It was an idea, nothing more, nothing less! We couldn't even pursue the option until she returns anyway.

Third, now my receiving girls are all upset because I didn't come to them with the news as soon as I heard it. I just told them point blank, when I know something is confirmed and set in stone I will let them know. Too many things change in this place to jump on every little thought and rumor. For all we know, this may never even materialize, and, if it does, they will be the first to know.

I absolutely hate rumors. One of my biggest pet peeves in this place. (Yes, I know, I have a million peeves.)

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

LOL I wonder if this could happen with money too! You win $100 in the lottery and by the time it gets to your hand it has suddenly multiplied into $100,000 :-)

3:42 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

Hmmmm.......

Note to self - buy lotto ticket

3:55 PM  
Blogger Read This said...

Note to Sherri-don't forget the little people when you win. Gary Coleman has not had a real job in years, and that damned kid from Home ALone is not getting any younger. LOL. I watched the 6th sense the other day. WHy is it everytime I see the scene where they are in the car and the nmom asks the kid if her mom is proud of her, and she says everyday...(I might have messed up the exact wording.) I have to act like I have something in my eye? LOL.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

So, are you saying you cry during movie scenes?

5:41 PM  
Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Why I'm glad I work by myself...

6:54 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

you know, the one thing I never wanted to be was a manager. It's probably one of the hardest jobs, dealing with people is never easy. I do it because I have to, I need my job, and I'm pretty decent at it. I have to say, I was much happier though when all I had to worry about was me.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Read This said...

I never cry, I just get something in my eye. Ever have a scene in a movie that can get you every time you watch it? I know the outcome, I know the words, but I still find myself upset, lol. Wait, I lied about the crying thing. I did cry when Pamela Anderson had her friends reduced, but then she had them inflated again, and all was right in the world. This should be a christmas story, lol. Better than than damned Jimmy Stewart movie they keep showing. Sometimes it's not a wonderful life, no matter how much you say it is, lol.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

Ugh! Pamela Anderson.... I see you're feeling better. LOL

Actually, I don't get emotional when I watch movies. However, I literally cried my eyes out the first time I watched 'City of Angels'. I'm surprised I had any eye lashes left by the end of the movie.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Read This said...

Hey, pamela Anderson is an icon. A dame of American screen. A person that I would like to hold dearly, lol. Joking, she is what she is. Big boobs, a good sense of humor, and rich because of it. God Bless America.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons