My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Great Gas War

The new Glens Gas Stop in town has totally sent the other gas stations in a tail spin. From the minute it opened it's doors, it has literally been all out war.

For the first time since more then a year ago, gas was lowered to $1.99 a gallon this morning. Cars were lined up down the middle of main street waiting their chance for reasonable gas. The amazing thing was, even thought the other gas stations had followed suit, people were still waiting to stop at Glens. Retribution, I suppose, for the years and years that Johnson has monopolized the gas prices here in town. If it weren't for the Glens Gas Stop, which is independently owned by Spartan, Johnson would have continued to gouge us with gas prices that were out of sight.

We actually spent quite a bit of time talking about this at the production managers meeting this morning. Funny how something so basic as gasoline can have such a huge impact on your life. The higher the gas prices, the more things cost, the less you drive, the more you worry about how fuel efficient your vehicle is. 2 years ago I didn't even know we bought oil and barrels. Today, I can tell you the cost of a barrel on an almost daily basis.

On a somewhat related side note: While I was at the gas station this morning, getting my $1.99 gas, I witnessed a man lift his shirt, pull belly button lint from his stomach, stare at it, pull his shirt back down, then look at me and smile. I'm sure he mistook my stare of disgust for a gaze of admiration. LOL

7 Comments:

Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

"gas was lowered to $1.99 a gallon this morning. Cars were lined up down the middle of main street waiting their chance for reasonable gas"

Think about what you just wrote...

Resonable? three years ago when I was still in Arizona, regular unleaded was .82 cents a gallon...

6:50 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

Unfortunately, Michigan gas has an excise tax, so even though it was .89 in Arizona, it was about $1.09 here. It's been a long time since I've seen gas prices that low.

For the past few months gas has been hovering around $2.50 to $2.70 a gallon. At the moment, $1.99 seems like a bargain. How sad is that! LOL

6:56 PM  
Blogger Read This said...

sherri....every time I go to your site...your Guns N Roses interrupts what I am listening to...make it stop..make it stop..haha.

Gas prices are a bitch, and for some reason battle Creek usually has the highest in the state. Day after 9/11 we were over 3 bucks a gallon...crazy...glad I just bought a SUV...hahaha...

7:03 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

Oh no! I purposely nabbed the html that wouldn't automatically play the minute the page was opened. I'm very sorry. But, you have to admit, excellent song!

What kind of SUV? I love my Jeep, but I've been eyeballing the new Jeep commander that's coming out.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Crazy Me said...

Gas prices tick me off so much. I drive so far to work and it kills me that my raise this year doesn't even come close to covering what I spend to get to my freaking job!! Ergh ......

10:01 PM  
Blogger LBseahag said...

AKKK!!! A buck ninety nine???


I might drive out there! to fill up on gas and burly men in half shirts!

11:24 PM  
Blogger DaMasta said...

I always do the belly button lint pully outty thingy. It's not that uncommon.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons