My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Friday, June 16, 2006

A day in the life of Sherri....

It was so hot at work today I thought I was going to die. What made it worse was the fact that we had to finish moving our filing cabinets and reference books and such to the new location.

I was absolutely miserable. Not to mention, Julie pinched my pinky finger between two sections of cubicle wall and I pinched the skin on my arm beneath a magnetic book end. Both were excruciating, but the skin under the bookend bruised immediately. When I screamed out from the pain, everyone laughed at me, then I couldn't get the stupid book end to lift up from the filing cabinet. To be honest, it really ticked me off.

"I've gotta get a drink, I'm parched," I fumed and turned to walk away.

"What the hell is parched??" Sherry exclaims, and they all laugh again.

At times I wish I could just act and be like everyone else. Or, better yet, why can't they be more like me?

"I'm thirsty," I replied as they all stood there looking at me.

"There, now that's better, I know what the hell that means. You use those God damn fancy words all the time, you're like one of those word of the day calendars." Laughter again from everyone as Sherry offered me a few doritos.

I smiled a fake smile and listened for a few minutes as they talked about some guy named Gary getting arrested because he was walking home drunk from somewhere. Everyone seemed appalled that he had been harassed by the cops and beat up before he was put in the drunk tank.

"They probably arrested him for public intoxication. He was probably being disorderly or something," this same thing had happened to my brother when he was 16, but I wasn't going to tell them that.

"Yeah, yeah, that's what he said! You know them cops, trumped up charges," I couldn't believe what I was hearing, did that really come out of Sherry's mouth??

"Didn't you just tell me last week that he came after you with a knife one time and cut up the linoleum in your kitchen?" I exclaimed.

"Yeah, but that was different, he was drunk," and she begins laughing.

I should probably be considering it a blessing that I'm not like them, but, sometimes it would be nice to just fit in somewhere. Then again, sometimes it's nice to just be me, an original, a one and only.

Unrelated side note: Anyone who has been following my blog will probably remember a past post that I had done about my brother disappearing from the face of the earth. I'll have a lot more to post tomorrow about the whole situation, but, I did want to mention he is no longer MIA. I spoke with his ex wife yesterday, and she and her new husband will be spending the day at my house tomorrow so I can visit with my niece and their kids. Kind of weird that the instant she blows into town she shows up at my house..... Actually, it kind of makes me feel good, anyway, I found out from her that my brother had shown up on their doorstep in Tennessee with nowhere to go. So, her new husband felt sorry for him and had offered him a place to stay. Strange situation.

7 Comments:

Blogger tsduff said...

Now that is a husband with confidence! Nice guy. Glad your brother is still on this side of the dirt...

8:16 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

terry, I agree 100% with everything you've just said.

8:29 PM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

It's good to see that your brother is alright.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

fuzzbox, yes, I was getting worried about him. sometimes I would like to just kick his butt.

9:03 PM  
Blogger LBseahag said...

that underarm pinch you got made me cry out in pain...

8:13 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I'm still stuck on the "parched" thing. Isn't that the word rednecks use when they want a beer? This Sherry woman sounds as redneck as they come, so I don't know why she wouldn't know what you meant.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

You're up late tonight!

She is totally redneck, now you've got me wondering.

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons