My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Friday, August 25, 2006

A Sixth Grader Named David

I dreamed of a kid I haven't even thought of in years, his name was David and he sat 2 desks ahead of me in one of my 6th grade classes.

What I'm about to tell you is something most people do not know, I rarely speak of the time that my mother was married to Mark and how our life was when we lived in Frederick. It brings back bad memories that I would just love to forget forever.

For 3 months I had attended the Grayling Middle School, the 3 most miserable months of my entire life. I didn't know a soul in my new school, my homelife was not any better. I was quiet, extremely quiet, and for this reason my teachers had all grown to like me, always trying to pull me out of my shell.

One teacher in particular had caught my attention. She was an English teacher, and for the life of me, I can't remember her name. She was young and hip and her students had all gained such great respect for her, myself included.

It was in her particular class that David sat 2 desks ahead of me. David was poor, and dirty, and always a trouble maker. To this day I can see his greasy hair and blue vest in my mind, even back then I had known he was most assuredly poor.

The class had been working quietly on a project one day when the teacher had called upon me to deliver a note to the guidance counselor on the third floor. She had emphasized that I not read the note, that I merely deliver and return to class. I agreed that I would not read the note, but I did not keep my word.

As soon as I left the landing on the second floor I carefully unfolded the note and began to decipher the 3 sentences scratched on the paper.

John,
You've got to do something about David, his smell is making me sick. Get him out of my class.


I still remember stopping right in my tracks. For some odd reason I felt sad and hurt. I had felt horrible for David because I now knew something bad. I had lost respect for the teacher, how would I ever be able to return back to class??

As I had promised, I dropped off the note and returned back to class. I hadn't been in my seat for more then a minute when the guidance counselor arrived asking to meat with David.

Everyone had assumed he had gotten into trouble again, but I knew the truth.


6 Comments:

Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

ben, it was weird. Firstly, something like that should have never happened. She should have gone up to the second floor and spoken personally with the guidance counsler. But, she was a young teacher, probably just starting out.

7:43 AM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

I am sorry that you had such a sad harsh lesson in how two faced some people are. She should have talked with the child one on one first. Some people have no couth.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

fuzzbox, you are so right, some people have no couth.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Do you ever think that perhaps David reads your blog??? HAHAHAHAHAHA ;)

5:39 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

gareth, I doubt that he does. I'm not sure what ever become of him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in jail or something.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Read This said...

Real life's a bitch. Maybe this is why I stay mired in a rich fantasy life? LOL. Teacher and child should have both been bathed, one bathing of the soul and the other of the stench he inherited from his parents.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons