My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Dungbeetle Softball

I am pleased to announce that I have lived to tell you all about the softball game!

I almost died when I arrived at the game and discovered that Rick had decided to make me catcher. The one position I had not practiced in at practice is the one position they put me in.

Ugh!!!

But, for someone who has never played softball in her life, I did ok! I'm just so relieved to have the whole thing behind me now! I was quite embarrassed at some of the people who were out in the stands, though. There my kids sit next to people who were bad mouthing myself and the other members of our team. 2 women, I have not found out who they are yet, had been complaining about how I threw and hit like a girl.

Too bad it's not Thursday, because they could really fuck off and die!

I told Zach 'of course I throw and hit like a girl, I am one.' He just laughed. But I did tell him that this was a good lesson for him, just because you don't normally do stuff doesn't mean that you shouldn't at least try it. And, when you do try, you have to be able to take the competition and criticism that comes along with it.

As much as it pains me to admit, we ended up losing the game in the 9th inning with the other team at 2 outs. Up until that point we had been winning by 3 points, not bad for a team who has only practiced together twice in their life.

I am still unsure what happened, but from what I could see, the person playing first base left his post to chase after the ball so nobody was covering the plate. The first base man ended up getting the ball and it all went to hell from there. Believe it or not, with that screw up, they scored 2 points. 2 batters later a series of overthrows and clumsiness allowed 2 more batters in, winning the game.

But we gave it our all, and that's all that matters.

End score was 14 Dungbeetles - 15 Employees.

9 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

A high scoring game. They must have had the big bats out.

Now I think the Pitcher should take all the blame. If 1st base chases the ball the Pitcher should cover.

Give him hell tomorrow.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

But, the thing was Ben, the first base man shouldn't have left his spot. He didn't actually make the first catch. The second base man caught the ball and the first base man was running in to him. (Don't ask me, they both went for the ball for some reason.) Second base throws to first base but it was really pointless, first base man is a guy who wears a 4XL, like he's going to be able to outrun a 100lb girl to first.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I remember the time I referred to the score of a baseball game using the word "points." People made fun of me for half a day because in baseball you score runs. I didn't think "points" vs. "runs" mattered, but apparently it's a big freaking deal. At least to the idiots I work with. "Gee, don't you mean touchdowns?" someone asked. Jerk.

Sorry you lost the game.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

hmmm..... seems I made the same mistake as you, I called them points too. People can be such morons sometimes, it's that superiority complex. They make you look like an ass so they can feel good about how much of an ass they are to begin with. LOL

3:38 PM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

Can't win 'em all. Good to see that you weren't maimed anyway. Softball isn't about if you win or lose. It's about the after-party.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Read This said...

It's good to have the employees win one once in a while. Keeps the morale where it should be.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

I think you did awesome! Great job! I am so glad you didn't wuss out at the last minute (I probably would have done that). I figure you just getting out there playing is awesome and to be leading for most of the game, even better... and you never catching before, DAMN FREAKING MAD CRAZY AWESOME!!! I'm so proud of you Sherri!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Jay Noel said...

Clumsiness and overthrows...

Yup, that pretty much describes recreational softball. Lots of fun to play, but so much more fun to watch.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

no, but someone out in the outfield did throw her glove down when she missed the ball and the ump penalized our team! He advanced everyone 1 base because of it.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons