My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Monday, May 07, 2007

I Survived!

Yes, amazingly enough, I was able to pull off the fasting blood sugar test!

It wasn't easy, I must say. Somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd hour I was there I really didn't think I was going to make it. Not only had I NOT eaten in 15 hours but there was no TV, no magazines, and no friendly people anywhere in sight.

I was completely miserable.

But, I did have one bright moment from the whole experience. On my last blood draw, the nurse had asked me how I felt. When I replied "Starving!" she had laughed and said that was a good sign.

When you are gestational diabetic, you get extremely tired and sick from the test, an experience I know all too well from my pregnancy with Thomas. I can still remember how miserable I felt lying on the cot in the back of the lab trying like heck not to throw up, because, if I threw up, I would have to repeat the test.

This time, no sickness, no tiredness, just extreme hunger pangs.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this time, it'll be a normal pregnancy. I do want to mention, the people who work in the lab at OMH totally SUCK! They couldn't be more rude if they tried! This would be the reason why I have chosen to drive 3 towns over to deliver my baby rather then deliver it 5 minutes away.

When I was asked by the nurse why I chose to have my baby in another town instead of my own home town, I merely told them I was a little partial to my safety and well being. Not only had I worked with a woman who had a botched surgery where they removed the wrong bile duct, my daycare lady nearly lost her life when the doctor nicked her heart in a SHOULDER surgery, but I also knew Charlie's grandmother developed fluid on her brain because of an inept anesthesiologist at the hospital.

I am not about to chance my life.

Oddly enough, the nurse didn't say a word.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great news :) Glad to hear everything went OK

10:15 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Lots of people opt for NMH over OMH for exactly the reasons you list!

11:22 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

thanks Siren!

jessica, I couldn't have been more disappointed in our hospital.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Jay Noel said...

What a crappy hospital. Sounds like they get the bottom 10% out of medical school.

15 hours? I can't imagine not eating for that long.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Glad that all is well wtih you and baby

9:06 AM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

phoenix, I'm certain they probably do only get the bottom 10%. Nothing like scraping the bottom of the barrel.

christina, thanks! I appreciate the well wishes.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons