My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Monday, July 21, 2008

Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous

I have officially hob-nobbed with the uber wealthy, and lived to tell about it.

Seriously.

I have my doubts that I will ever, in my life, go to another house warming party for a billionaire family.

Several things I have learned about people this rich:
  • You can say anything you want, no matter how politically incorrect, or abrasive, if you have enough money.
  • No matter how hot the weather, the wealthier you are the more clothing you are wearing.
  • Shoes are always to be worn at least 1 size too small.
  • When you are wealthy, you don't need to own a car. If you want to go somewhere, you just fly there.

As most of you know, my husband is a carpenter who works for a builder that puts together some pretty spectacular houses. While it doesn't happen all that often, once in a while a homeowner will have a party for the workers who build their houses. As luck would have it, we were invited to the party for the opening of a house built for the daughters of a billionaire to vacation in when they visit.

It was a completely eye opening experience to see how the other side lives.

I was absolutely beside myself with shock as I sat and listened to a conversation that had begun beside me. An aunt and uncle of the sisters who threw the house warming party had sparked up a conversation with a few of the other family members.

Racism, controversey, illigitimate children belonging to scandalous mayors..... You name it, I heard it. It was like something out of a movie.

But, I couldn't help but like the old woman. She was 81 and smoked like a chimney. She had on a lavendar pantsuit and enormously gaudy jewelry, all of it genuine I'm certain. She had looked over and smiled at me asking me where I was from. When I told her Gaylord she immediately recounted a tale for me about how she had canoed down the Jordan River and nearly died. It was 1942 and she and her husband had just had a baby 3 weeks earlier. This woman was fascinated by Charlie and I, surely she didn't get to spend much time with the working class. She had thanked us both for the wonderful conversation she'd had and exclaimed that she had a spendid visit and that we should remain grounded because it was a pleasure for her.

I don't think I'll have any problems remaining grounded. LOL I don't see myself becoming a billionaire any time soon, no matter how appealing that sounds to me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Tell us about the finishing school!

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons