My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Now, where is it I was going??

Some people are born to survive, no matter the circumstance, no matter the chances. You can drop them from an airplane into the jungles of Brazil and they will come out unscathed, baggies of dried nuts and berries they had collected in their pockets, bottles of water they had distilled using rainwater and upturned leaves in their hands.

I am not one of those people.

If you dropped me from a plain into the jungles of Brazil you would find my tattered and emaciated carcass somewhere in the midst of the worst of it, baggies of poison berries and contaminated water littering the ground around me.

I am one of those people who do not have a sense of direction. Worse yet, I can drive past something 15 times and still not recognize that I've been past it before. I'm doomed, I dare say.

Today Zach had a dentist appointment in East Jordan. All was well, we were traveling along and everything was just the way it should be. Then I encounter it, the detour, the most hated and feared thing to me when I travel. I have yet to make it through a detour without becoming absolutely totally lost.

Today was no exception.

Now, trying to be optimistic, I think to myself, East Jordan is a small town, how hard could it be for me to find the dentist?

Apparently, damn near impossible. Thank God I had my cell phone! When I was 15 minutes late, 15 minutes of driving around East Jordan trying to find my way, the receptionist calls to find out if I have forgotten my appointment. Like a crazed lunatic, I exclaim to her 'Thank God you have called! I'm in East Jordan and I'm totally lost, help me!' (Yes, I'm that pathetic.)

Imagine the smiles and laughter I received when I finally made it to the office! I'm certain my experience today has given them fodder for casual conversations for the next year. You just can't top a late patient who is begging for directions to your office because she is lost in your microscopic little town.

Yikes!

Needless to say, I made it to the office, Zach got his filling, I got lost once again on my way back to the detour, and finally came to the conclusion that traveling alone is NOT recommended for me. My next vehicle will have to be equipped with Onstar, no doubts about it.

5 Comments:

Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

Why didn't you stop and ask directions. That is what a man would do. ;)

2:13 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

Getting lost is so embarrasing! I was on the way to a friend's house for our small group meeting, had even been there before... and for the life of me I couldn't find her house! It was a dark and stormy night, but that was no excuse. I did try to call, but her house is in the hills and there was no cell phone reception. I never did make it, so after driving around for an hour I slunk back home in shame.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

fuzzbox, ask for directions?? Pshaw.....

terry, I would have done the same thing! LOL!!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Pixie said...

I am the same Sherri. me and my Ex would get lost every single time we went to Ikea!. We always had to stop and ask the way. I even got lost a few times going to a relatives house (she had lived there all my life as well!)

8:59 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Love the Brazil story. :)

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons