My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Give us your tired, your weak, your huddled masses.......














When people were hungry and jobs were few, President Franklin D. Roosevelt sought a way to put men to work, at the same time, revitalizing the country's ravaged natural resources.  It was during the "Great Depressions" that the creation of many camps known as Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) were established, thus, creating an opportunity for struggling Americans to earn money to help feed their families.
 
My Grandfather, Michael A. O'Rourke, and his brother are just 2 of those people who found future and hope with this program. While I know he and his 2 brothers were immigrants from Ireland, I do not know much else. 
 
Pictured above you will see Steward Michael A. O'Rourke in the center, the gentleman wearing the uniform.  Directly to his right is his brother, I wish I had a name, unfortunately I'm without that information.  While I know absolutely nothing about my Dad's side of the family, I have to say, I'm absolutely fascinated by learning this little tidbit of information.  This is the only photo I have of any members of my Dad's side of the family, I'm thankful to Roger for passing it along to me.
 
The pictures are taken at Camp Polack Lake, CCC 688.  Camp Pollack Lake was first settled as a tent camp in 1934 by enrollees from Camp Bear Lake in northern Lower Michigan.  The camp was responsible for such things as road and bridge construction, construction of the Waco Fire Tower, reforestation and timber stand improvement, fish planting, game surveys, fire fighting.... etc.  The camp eventually closed in 1937. 

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are cool photos. You should try to contact people from CCC 688 to see if any of them remembered your grandfather.

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How awesome that you have these historical photos of your Grandfather! Those are treasures.

12:37 AM  
Blogger Jay Noel said...

Whoa...very cool. You have some history right there in your hands.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yeah I remember you telling me about the O'Rourke side of your family. I have a good memory lol.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons