My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Monday, May 28, 2007

Fat in a Thin World

I feel completely insulted by my mother-in-law.

While I know she was probably just doing it to be nice, I find her 'kindness' to be completely inappropriate.

The instant I seen here today the first words out of her mouth were "Are you losing your job?" No 'hello, how are you', just 'are you losing your job??'. I stood there, stunned for a moment, a little embarrassed that she chose to do this in front of several people.

"Yes, I am." I didn't know what else to say.

"I was at the dollar store today and found something, I picked it up for you...." she has turned on her heel and started heading into her bedroom. In a split second she's back with a package of size 13 underwear in her hands. Did the loss of my jobe invoke such a pity in her that she felt I may not be able to affort underwear for my poverty stricken self? And, just how huge did she think I was?

A Size 13?!

I'm not anything close to being a size 13 in underwear! I'm insulted, but I try to keep my calm. "I think these are a bit too big." Why is it that thin people look at someone who is chubby and do this kind of stuff?? They buy stuff that is 3 times too big then insist it will fit you.

"Sherri, these aren't that big, look, they almost fit me," she replies, pulling a pair of underwear from the package and holding them about her waist. Everyone is staring at us. I want to just die.

I would rather be alone then be with people like her.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

That sounds awful.

Think about it this way: Maybe she purposely bought extra big underwear b/c you're pregnant and she figured you grow into them.

Where they all white?

10:09 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Good lord, I'm tired. I seem to have lost even the most basic grasp of grammar.

I think you know what I meant, though.

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds a little passive agressive on the MIL's part. My sister in law (who is a size 0) bought me PJs for Christmas last year that were at least three sizes too big. I guess the only upside to that is now I'll be able to wear them when I'm 9 months pregnant! Lucky me!

10:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You should repackage them and give them to her as a Christmas present. At least that will save you some money from your "poverty stricken" bank account ;)

6:43 PM  
Blogger Jay Noel said...

Wow. She's got nerve.

Hey - at least you know she was thinking of you while at the dollar store.

4:01 PM  
Blogger W. C. Jack said...

Gareth has it right. Repackage them.. AFTER you wear them several times and leave her something to remember you by.. ;)

Seriously though... in FRONT of people yet!

4:57 PM  
Blogger Crazy Me said...

WOW!!! Crazy rude!!

10:35 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

Ha ha ha - Sherri - where must this person shop? I didn't know they made underwear in that size... she sure doesn't know much about pregnancy... or tact!! Hope you left them hanging from the antenna of her car...

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons