My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

How was my day? Let me tell you....

Saturday, July 30, 2005

An Explanation for Dave

Since I have been asked, I will explain who Dave is.

Dave is the SQE where I work. He is my coworker who should be my right hand person, the person I should be able to go to for help on supplier quality issues. He has made it impossible for me to think of him in this way.

I'll start with yesterday as an example. To qualify a new supplier, the inspection area is responsible for processing a first article, which means, whatever it is we are trying to qualify, we inspect right down to the process in which it was assembled. I went to Dave yesterday because I needed clarification on which print I was to use for the FAR. We had a customer supplied print, and we had a deviated print which we had been told to use for a previous supplier. Our customer and the supplier had worked out a documented deviation that allowed that supplier to build the displays slightly different. I went to Dave, explained the issue, and was blown off. He and one of the purchasers were talking about their home computers. A totally non-work related issue. So, I stated "You don't have time right now? I see. So, am I to believe that non-work related issues now take precidence over this FAR? There's just something wrong with this picture." I turned and headed back to my desk. I called up the manufacturing engineer who clarified the situation for me. During the phone conversation, Dave had appeared at my desk, he had heard me page Scott for help. He listened in to the entire conversation. Suddenly, he had the time to busy himself with an actual work related issue.

Then, there is his belittling demeanor. He places himself on a pedistal above everyone else. He is too good to be seen with the likes of an average hourly employee. Which is just plain wrong. I may be salary, and a manager, but those hourly people are no different then I am when I leave that building. We all have kids and families and pay bills and are a part of this society.

But the one thing, the single most irritating thing, the part about him that just kills me most, he is forever lurking in the background. When the production control manager came back yesterday to ask a favor of me, he popped out of nowhere and was at my side. Literally, I had no clue Dave was even in the vicinity. He just appeared. So, the production control manager says to Dave that he was here to speak with me, and he pulled me to the side. Or, like when the last customer visit happened. He appeared out of thin air that time too. (These instances documented in previous posts.) What bothers me most, I believe, is that he wants to be my boss. He wants to look like he is in charge, and calls all the shots. Well, it's just not going to happen. I already have a boss, and, sorry to say, he has only been with the company for 4 weeks. He is absolutely clueless.

So, there is a brief explanation of Dave, the reasons why I can't stand him, and my own secret confession about how I don't like the fact that he tries to look like he's in charge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
Web Counters
Comp USA Coupons